Pages tagged "Blog"
In Solidarity with Our Asian American Community: An Action Guide
On March 16, 2021, a gunman took the lives of eight people, six of them Asian women, in a series of shootings in Atlanta, Georgia. Although investigations are ongoing, it's clear that this crime was motivated by racism and misogyny. Yet, it is but one in a series of recent violent attacks against Asian Americans. This devastating tragedy deserves all of our condemnation, and reminds us again that racism is not just a part of our nation's past—it is an ever-present crisis.
Anti-Asian racism is not at all new in the U.S., but the staggering truth is that:
- Hate crimes against Asian Americans surged by nearly 150% during the COVID-19 pandemic, even while overall hate crimes decreased by 7%, according to a recent report by California State University, San Bernardino.
- A report published this week by Stop AAPI Hate revealed that nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents were reported between March 2020 and February 2021, with women reporting hate incidents at 2.3 times the rate of men.
- According to Pew Research, 58% of Asian adults said it was more common for people to express racist views about Asian people than it was before the pandemic. 31% said they had been subject to racist slurs or jokes.
This surge in anti-Asian racism happens as white supremacy has been steadily on the rise and has led to egregious acts of domestic terrorism across the country. We stand with our Asian and Asian American community members everywhere. We’ve pulled resources and tips directly from AAPI groups who are leading this work (credited and linked throughout), and created a list of ways you can help take action and support our Asian American communities. Please share this guide or any others you find useful, and together let’s keep fighting for an anti-racist world for all.
1. Donate to (or share) the work of these organizations.
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice (Atlanta) has created a donation page. All donations will go to the victims and their families impacted by the shootings on March 16.
- Stop AAPI Hate
- AAPI Women Lead
- Asian Pacific Environmental Network
- Community Action Fund - GoFundMe page created by org Hate is a Virus
2. Sign on in support.
- Add your name to this collective statement by Asian Americans Advancing Justice (Atlanta): A Community-Centered Response to Violence Against Asian American Communities
3. Demand more from leaders.
- Contact your representatives and ask them what they’re doing to support the Asian community right now. Tell them it’s important to you that they speak up and take action on this issue. Call 1-844-USA-0234 and enter your zip code to be connected with your representatives, or text RESIST to 50409.
4. Be actively anti-racist.
Call out racism, microaggressions and prejudices, including the “model minority” myth, which can lead to a lack of anti-Asian racism advocacy work.
- "Stop that."
- "That's inappropriate."
- "I don't condone any kind of racism."
- Educate others and raise awareness.
- Hold yourself and others accountable and unlearn toxic views now so they don’t foster within the next generations.
5. Find more ways to take action here.