Climate Justice Program Manager
JOB TITLE: Climate Justice Program Manager
EMPLOYER: Catalyst Miami, Inc.
DEPARTMENT: Policy & Engagement
REPORTS TO: VP of Policy & Advocacy
SALARY RANGE: $45,000-55,000
Catalyst Miami’s organizational vision is a just and equitable society in which all communities thrive. To realize this vision, our Policy and Advocacy team fosters grassroots leaders and activists, organizes collectively for direct action, and holds elected leaders accountable to communities of color. The three objectives that fit into our overarching strategy are as follows:
- Overturn & reimagine policies and practices based in racism and discrimination;
- Shape the policies and practices of the future to be anchored in racial equity and social justice;
- Create models of sustainable and transformational economic growth for our communities.
Miami is one of the most at-risk cities in the world for climate change impacts. Since 2014, Catalyst Miami has capitalized upon its 25-year track record as an economic justice organization by building power around integrating social justice into the local climate movement. As a result of this work, we aim to create systems changes that build economic opportunities for our communities, as well as prioritize community decision-making and control, all while addressing the climate crisis.
For this Climate Justice Program Manager role, we are seeking a team-player with a deep passion for community engagement. Our ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal relationships, public speaking skills, and cultural competency. We are a multi-issue organization, so you should be comfortable engaging in spaces at the intersections of climate justice, including housing and health. Through this opportunity you will work on policy initiatives, speak at community meetings, network with local partners and stakeholders, and participate in coalition work with the Miami Climate Alliance. You will also gain in-depth understanding of climate change, affordable housing, civic engagement, and other key community issues at a local, grassroots level.
SUMMARY: Oversees and implements climate justice initiatives
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establishes policy advocacy initiatives relating to climate justice under the direction of VP of Policy & Advocacy
- Coordinates community organizing work related to energy justice, natural disasters, and other climate justice concerns
- Builds strong relationships within the community to advance climate justice work including interfacing with elected and government officials, and community stakeholders
- Represents Catalyst Miami at community events
- Ensures program-related collaterals are up to date
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Passion for addressing racial and social justice issues impacting local communities
- Passion for and a baseline knowledge of climate justice, energy justice, and/or civic engagement
- Experience with community outreach, coalition-building and organizing
- Strong communication and people skills - significant experience working with diverse communities and exhibiting cultural competency
- Comfort with public speaking
- Excellent organization skills - organized and detailed, ability to manage multiple projects independently and simultaneously
- Familiarity with common software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Google Suite
- Must be able to maintain clear, timely and accurate records for project monitoring.
- Research skills in descriptive statistics and qualitative data analysis
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to write for a variety of media, such as blog posts and fact sheets
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as being a self-starter who can work independently
- Strong innovative and creative thinking
- This position does not directly supervise employees.
- Language: Professional working proficiency in oral and written English. Professional working proficiency in oral and written Spanish or Haitian Creole.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Years of experience: 3
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite and working knowledge of web-based platforms
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Able to sit at desk for long periods of time and utilize computer for extended periods
- Must be able to work flexible hours to accommodate project needs
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above describes the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and short response to the question 'What is the root cause of poverty?' to [email protected].
- Customer service orientation
- Promotes products and services
- Inspires & motivates
- Leadership (self)
- Team player
- Develops talent (self)
- Articulate vision and understands the big picture
- Stable and calming influence
- Emotional intelligence
- Leads by example
- Open to feedback
- Effective interpersonal communicator
- Asset focused (as opposed to charity focused)
- Active listener
- Step out of comfort zone
- Management (self)
- Learning agility, comfortable with uncertainty, adaptable to sudden change
- Goal oriented, prioritization and time management
- Analytical/critical thinker, problem solver and resourceful
- Continuous improver-persistent
- Move projects forward simultaneously
- Tolerate and effectively manage stress