Community Champions is our neighborhood-based community organizing initiative. We bring together residents who collaborate to make sure that key investments and decisions being made in their community truly center the people who live there. This way, residents themselves build their civic power and ultimately shape their neighborhoods.
Our Community Champions meet regularly to implement projects, with our support, that strengthen their neighborhoods. They work to improve infrastructure, enhance the well-being of their neighbors, engage with local governments, and reduce existing inequalities. To name just some of their efforts, our Champions are steering the early stages of our real-estate cooperative in North Miami, and rallying Overtown residents to get involved in the re-development of the communal space beneath I-395.
What We Do
In 2022, Community Champions...
- Continued the community-building Overtown Legacy and GirlTrek intiatives.
- Underdeck advocacy: Successfully increased transparency and community participation in Underdeck project development, including renaming the public space to “Overtown Miami Greenway: The Heart of the City.”
- Co-launched the Overtown Parks Group with Urban Health Partnership to identify and elevate issues impacting
- Finalized criteria for investors in the North Miami Community Investment Cooperative (NM-CIC).
- Conducted neighborhood outreach for the NM-CIC, resulting in 94 community investor interest forms submitted to Catalyst Miami.
- Hosted teacher appreciation events and a South Dade Faith Walk, and distributing 150 disaster preparedness kits.
- Launched a local GirlTrek chapter that will continue to run separately from the official South Dade Champions program.
Overtown Community Champions
Pay: $20 per hour
Hours: Maximum of 30 hours per month at your leisure
Contact: Have questions or having trouble signing up? Please send an email to Nicole Crooks at [email protected]