If you've got the passion for helping improve the lives of your community members, we'd love to hear from you! Check out our open positions below.
Catalyst Miami is an equal opportunity employer.
Economic Justice Manager
JOB TITLE: Economic Justice Manager
EMPLOYER: Catalyst Miami, Inc.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Community Economic Development
EFFECTIVE DATE: 1/4/2021
SUMMARY: Build relationships and partnerships with individuals, organizations and other key stakeholders to advance the strategy and goals of Catalyst’s wealth-building, community economic development projects. Position is required to participate in team and staff meetings. Position requires flexibility, compassion, a passion for racial and economic justice, and the ability to work in an ever-changing environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Community Economic Development (CED) team to implement strategies that help small businesses and individuals build political and economic power and influence in Catalyst Miami’s target communities.
- Build relationships with small businesses that are interested in organizing to collectively seek business and economic development advocacy opportunities.
- Build relationships with individuals that want to create worker cooperatives, i.e., businesses owned and managed by their workers, and with small business owners interested in selling their businesses to their workers.
- Build relationships and partnerships with local and national community organizers, community-based organizations, and other stakeholders to advance the power-building strategies of the CED team.
- Represent the CED team in local and national coalition calls and gatherings.
- Organize events for individuals, small businesses and organizations that engage with the CED team.
- Help the CED team implement capacity-building trainings for individuals, small businesses, other stakeholders, and Catalyst Miami staff.
- Develop and/or maintain a deep understanding of the issues that people of color face in Miami-Dade County’s low-wealth communities.
- Adjust community organizing and relationship-building strategies as needs arise.
- Maintain ongoing relationships with individuals, small businesses, organizers, community-based organizations and other stakeholders.
- Identify and refer participants to other Catalyst Miami services.
- Identify and refer participants to resources and services beyond Catalyst Miami. This requires keeping abreast of what services partner organizations offer.
- Collaborate with Catalyst Miami’s communications team to conduct outreach.
- Collaborate with other teams across the organization as opportunities arise.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- This position does not directly supervise employees.
- Language: Professional working proficiency in oral and written English. Professional working proficiency in oral and written Spanish and/or Haitian Creole.
- Years of experience: 3, preferably in a community organizing capacity.
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Office Suite and working knowledge of web-based platforms.
- Knowledge of community organizing strategies and tactics.
- Customer service orientation
- Promotes products and services
- Inspires & motivates
- Team player and builder
- Develops talent (self and others)
- Articulates vision, understands and commits to the big picture
- Stable and calming influence
- Emotional intelligence
- Leads by example
- Open to feedback
- Effective interpersonal communicator
- Asset focused (as opposed to charity focused)
- Active listener
- Step out of comfort zone
Management (self and others)
- Learning agility, comfortable with uncertainty, adaptable to sudden change
- Goal oriented, prioritization and time management
- Analytical / critical thinker, problem solver and resourceful
- Continuous improver-persistent
- Move projects forward simultaneously
- Tolerate and effectively manage stress
- Effective delegation
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to work in a shared-workspace environment
- Stretch and bend to organize and distribute materials for Catalyst Miami activities
- Able to sit at desk for long periods of time and utilize computer for extended periods
- Must be able to work flexible hours to accommodate organization needs, including evening and weekends. Out of town travel may be required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above describes the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and answers to the following four questions to email@example.com:
- Define "community organizing."
- In your opinion, what is the root cause of poverty?
- What do racial justice and economic justice mean to you?