Climate Justice Community Organizer
JOB TITLE: Climate Justice Community Organizer
EMPLOYER: Catalyst Miami, Inc.
REPORTS TO: Climate Justice Program Manager
EFFECTIVE DATE: 04/04/2023
HOURLY RATE: $24.04
SUMMARY: Drives community organizing work, collaborates on climate justice advocacy, and will join a team of policy advocates and direct service providers working toward the vision of a just society where everyone can lead healthy, prosperous, and self-determined lives. This is a non-exempt, part-time position.
Catalyst Miami’s vision is a just society in which everyone can lead healthy, prosperous, self-determined lives. To realize this vision, we build power with frontline communities throughout Miami-Dade County to collectively advance justice and achieve shared prosperity. The Policy and Advocacy team fosters grassroots leaders and activists, organizes collectively for direct action, and holds elected leaders accountable to communities of color. The three objectives that fit into our overarching strategy are as follows:
- Work with our community partners to overturn & reimagine policies and practices based in racism and discrimination;
- Collectively shape the policies and practices of the future to be anchored in racial, economic and social justice;
- Create collective models of sustainable and transformational economic growth for our communities.
Miami is one of the most at-risk cities in the world for climate change impacts. Since 2014, Catalyst Miami has capitalized upon its 25-year track record as an economic justice organization by building power around integrating social justice into the local climate movement. As a result of this work, we aim to create systems changes that build economic opportunities for our communities, as well as prioritize community decision-making and control, all while addressing the climate crisis.
For this Climate Justice Program Organizer role, we are seeking a collaborative team player with a deep passion for community engagement and organizing. Our ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal relationships, organizing skills, and cultural competency. We take an intersectional approach to our work, so you should be comfortable engaging in spaces at the intersections of climate justice, including housing and health. Through this opportunity you will engage with and organize community members on policy initiatives, speak at community meetings, network with local partners and stakeholders, and participate in the work of the Miami Climate Alliance and its various working groups. You will gain in-depth understanding of the impacts of climate change in our communities, including extreme heat and other conditions, as well as affordable housing, civic engagement, and other key community issues at a local, grassroots level.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Co-design and drive climate justice organizing projects that align with community priorities and climate justice objectives, under the direction of Climate Justice Program Manager
- Recruit community members to become part of Catalyst’s network of climate justice leaders; equip them to collectively take action on climate justice issues
- Collaborate with community engagement, policy advocacy, and direct service staff
- Engage with underrepresented community residents, policymakers, and partner advocacy organizations regarding energy justice, extreme weather, and other climate justice issues
- Represent Catalyst Miami at local events
- Build strong relationships within the community
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor and management
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Passion for addressing racial and social justice issues impacting local communities
- Baseline knowledge of climate justice, energy justice, and/or civic engagement
- Experience with community outreach, coalition-building and organizing
- Experience working with diverse communities and exhibiting cultural competency
- Excellent organization skills - organized and detail-oriented, ability to manage multiple projects independently and simultaneously
- This position does not directly supervise employees.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Language: Professional working proficiency in oral and written English required.
- Proficiency in oral and written Spanish or Haitian Creole preferred.
- Education: Associates Degree or equivalent experience
- Years of experience: 2 or more
- Computer skills required: Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace programs, and knowledge of web-based platforms such as Zoom and Google Meets.
- Customer service orientation
- Inspires & motivates
- Team player
- Develops talent (self)
- Articulate vision and understands the big picture
- Stable and calming influence
- Emotional intelligence
- Leads by example
- Open to feedback
- Effective interpersonal communicator
- Asset focused (as opposed to charity focused)
- Active listener
- Step out of comfort zone
- Learning agility, comfortable with uncertainty, adaptable to sudden change
- Goal oriented, prioritization and time management
- Analytical / critical thinker, problem solver and resourceful
- Continuous improver-persistent
- Move projects forward simultaneously
- Tolerate and effectively manage stress
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Ability to lift weights of up to 25 pounds
- Stretch and bend to organize and distribute materials for Catalyst Miami activities
- Able to sit at desk for long periods of time and utilize computer for extended periods
- Able to conduct direct community engagement in the neighborhoods where Catalyst Miami has a base
- Must be able to work flexible hours to accommodate project needs
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Email Camilo Mejia at [email protected] with your cover letter, resume, and a brief explanation (500 words or less) of how climate gentrification has impacted you and your community?
In the same email, please briefly answer the following questions:
- Do you have any community engagement/organizing experience?
- Do you have any policy and advocacy experience?
- Do you have experience with facilitation in climate and/or environmental justice spaces?
- Are you able to read, write or speak Spanish and/or Haitian Creole fluently?