Vice President of Community Engagement
JOB TITLE: Vice President of Community Engagement
EMPLOYER: Catalyst Miami, Inc.
REPORTS TO: Deputy CEO
EFFECTIVE DATE: March 2023
Catalyst Miami is an economic justice organization whose mission is to identify and collectively solve issues adversely affecting low-wealth communities throughout Miami-Dade County. Catalyst Miami is seeking a candidate experienced in community engagement, community organizing, and team management to join our leadership team to take our efforts to integrate community engagement into all aspects of our work to the next level.
We have been running grassroots leadership training programming for over 25 years and our Prosperity Campaign for over 20. Overall, we engage 100+ community members via our leadership programs, 750+ via our policy/advocacy initiatives, and 2500+ via our services each year. At our best, community members that are directly impacted by Miami’s most pressing issues are getting the assistance they need, while leading the charge on systems change for those very issues. We’d like to see more community members engaged with Catalyst Miami take full advantage of the full array of programming across our organization.
Our VP of Community Engagement will be responsible for creating the structure and strategy for deep community engagement both in our work and throughout our organization. In the initial phases of this work, success looks like a more widely involved base, and the implementation of structures for community feedback and accountability throughout all of our programming. After this initial launch, success will look like our base attaining the people power necessary to achieve a more inclusive local democracy and economy.
This work is integrated into our 2023-25 strategic plan and the VP of Community Engagement will work together with a community steering committee. In addition to the steering committee, there will be several additional activities where we engage other areas of Catalyst Miami’s client-base, including those that are new to the organization, or not as deeply engaged as our informal membership base. This position will also integrate work across the entire organization, ensuring that their programming also informs our other efforts, including policy/advocacy, organizing, and direct services. Evaluation of this process will be iterative.
Given this, we are seeking a candidate with excellent skills in these areas: community engagement, community organizing, strategy development, inspirational supervision, and change management. We are looking for a big picture thinker, problem-solver, and initiative-taker. If this role interests you and you reflect these qualities, please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected].
SUMMARY: This position reports to the Deputy CEO, and works with the CEO and other senior leaders on organizational strategy and staff management. The primary function of this position is to develop a cross-departmental strategy to more fully integrate the organization’s community engagement efforts so that we can increase our impact in achieving a more inclusive local democracy and economy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads development of a streamlined community-outreach, engagement, and organizing strategy/structure that supports directly-impacted communities to benefit from and inform the work of our organization; co-develops with a community steering committee
- Works across organizational departments to establish and align engagement and organizing strategy with policy advocacy agenda and service-delivery; to include community organizing, power-building, and engagement in all aspects of work
- Coordinates across organizational departments to ensure the ongoing consistency of strategy and collaboration.
- Oversees activation of local leaders, program graduates, and community residents through opportunities to engage with advocacy and community engagement
- Establishes ongoing community feedback/accountability mechanisms to increase responsiveness to community needs, both with existing Catalyst Miami community members and the community at-large
- Manages staff that are responsible for community meetings and town halls to inform programming, including semi-annual gatherings of diverse leaders
- Manages staff that are responsible for executing leadership programs and fellowships, including tracking deliverables
- Foster positive and collaborative relationships with community residents, local nonprofit organizations, faith-based organizations, networks and coalitions
- Contribute to grant proposals and writing grant reports
- Represents Catalyst Miami at community events
- Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
- Experience leading racial justice, civic engagement, and/or economic justice work
- Experience designing and leading community outreach, engagement, organizing, and organizational membership strategies
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and experience leading complex teams
- Highly organized; ability to create and maintain clear, timely and accurate databases/records for program monitoring and reporting
- Excellent communication skills, ability to move with confidence through ambiguity and conflict
- Comfortable in an emergent environment; exhibiting strong innovative and creative thinking
- Qualities of a self-starter, taking initiative and testing new ideas and tactics
- Familiarity with common software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Google Drive
- Directly supervises a team as well as oversees the coordination of multiple cross functional teams with the goal of increasing integration of our community engagement strategy
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Conducts interviewing, hiring, onboarding and training of employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; supporting employee development; acknowledging, celebrating and taking disciplinary action; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Language: Professional working proficiency in oral and written English required. Professional working proficiency in oral and written Spanish or Haitian Creole preferred.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Years of experience: 6 years; experience directly managing teams required
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite and working knowledge of web-based platforms
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Ability to lift weights of up to 25 pounds
- Stretch and bend to organize and distribute materials for Catalyst Miami activities
- Able to sit at desk for long periods of time and utilize computer for extended periods
- Must be able to work flexible hours to accommodate project needs
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above describes the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to Zelalem Adefris at [email protected]