Community Engagement Coordinator
JOB TITLE: Community Engagement Coordinator
EMPLOYER: Catalyst Miami, Inc.
DEPARTMENT: Policy & Engagement
REPORTS TO: Community Engagement Director
SALARY RANGE: $42,000-47,000
EFFECTIVE DATE: 7/1/2022
SUMMARY: Executes Catalyst Miami’s community engagement and social justice advocacy through community outreach, community participation, support, and expansion of new and existing networks of community leaders, local businesses, nonprofits, and other stakeholders in North Miami. Special emphasis on working alongside community members and other members of Catalyst Miami staff to create opportunities for community-owned and governed real estate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as a lead liaison to partners in terms of engagement, development and implementation of community informed advocacy and organizing that support increased civic engagement in North Miami
- Designs and collaborates on civic engagement activities, leadership programs, outreach, and meetings to prepare community members to become more effective advocates and leverage existing resources
- Work with community members in North Miami and the Community Economic Development (CED) team at Catalyst Miami to implement a real estate investment cooperative –community-owned and governed retail property in North Miami.
- Assists Leadership Program Coordinator with implementing leadership programs in North Miami through recruitment, outreach, and communications
- Develops and sustains relationships with neighborhood-based stakeholders, including but not limited to government officials, nonprofit organizations, community based organizations, advocacy networks, and the faith-based community to further community engagement efforts
- Collects qualitative and quantitative data through surveys, interviews, questionnaires and focus groups with North Miami residents, businesses, and stakeholders to shape Catalyst Miami's policy priorities.
- Keeps the community informed regarding Catalyst Miami’s work in North Miami
- Identify and refer participants to resources and services beyond Catalyst Miami. This requires keeping abreast of what services partner organizations offer.
- Assists with the preparation of grant applications, reports and billing.
- Develop and/or maintain a deep understanding of the issues that people of color face in Miami-Dade County’s low-wealth communities.
- Collaborate with Catalyst Miami’s communications team to conduct outreach.
- Collaborate with other teams across the organization as opportunities arise.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
This position does not directly supervise employees.
- Language: Professional working proficiency in oral and written English required. Professional working proficiency in oral and written Spanish or Haitian Creole preferred.
- Years of experience: 1-3
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite and working knowledge of web-based platforms
- Knowledge of community organizing strategies and tactics.
- Customer service orientation
- Promotes products and services
- Inspire & motivates
- Team player
- Develops talent (self)
- Articulate vision and understands the big picture
- Stable and calming influence
- Emotional intelligence
- Leads by example
- Open to feedback
- Effective interpersonal communicator
- Asset focused (as opposed to charity focused)
- Active listener
- Step out of comfort zone
- Learning agility, comfortable with uncertainty, adaptable to sudden change ● Goal oriented, prioritization and time management
- Analytical/critical thinker, problem solver and resourceful
- Continuous improver-persistent
- Move projects forward simultaneously
- Tolerate and effectively manage stress
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Able to sit at desk for long periods of time and utilize computer for extended periods
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings, to accommodate project needs
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Stretch and bend to organize and distribute materials for Catalyst Miami activities
- Must be able to work flexible hours to accommodate project needs
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above describes the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Please email Izegbe Onyango ([email protected]) and Ahmed Mori ([email protected]) with your resume, cover letter, and short responses to the questions: (1) what does community organizing mean to you? (2) how would you define racial and economic justice?