Community Engagement Coordinator
JOB TITLE: Community Engagement Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Policy & Engagement
REPORTS TO: Community Engagement Director
SALARY RANGE: $43,500-47,600
EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/18/2021
We are seeking a compassionate, culturally-competent team-player with a deep passion for social justice. Our ideal candidate will also have great organizational skills, and experience managing logistics for complex projects. Through this opportunity, you will further develop your leadership, networking, organizational, and logistical skills. You will also gain in-depth understanding of climate change, affordable housing, civic engagement and other key community issues at a local, grassroots level.
SUMMARY: Executes Catalyst Miami’s community engagement and social justice advocacy through community outreach, community participation, support, and expansion of new and existing networks of community leaders, local businesses, nonprofits, and other stakeholders in South Dade.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as a lead liaison to partners in terms of engagement, development and implementation of community informed advocacy and organizing that support increased civic engagement in South Dade
- Designs and collaborates on civic engagement activities, leadership programs, outreach, and meetings to prepare community members to become more effective advocates and leverage existing resources
- Assists Leadership Program Coordinator with implementing leadership programs in South Dade through recruitment, outreach, and communications
- Develops and sustains relationships with neighborhood-based stakeholders, including but not limited to government officials, nonprofit organizations, community based organizations, advocacy networks, and the faith-based community to further community engagement efforts
- Collects qualitative and quantitative data through surveys, interviews, questionnaires, focus groups, etc with South Dade residents, businesses, and stakeholders to shape Catalyst Miami's policy priorities.
- Keeps the community informed regarding Catalyst Miami’s work in South Dade.
- Assists with the preparation of grant applications and reports.
Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong communication and people skills - significant experience working with diverse communities and exhibiting cultural competency
- Passion for addressing racial and social justice issues impacting local communities
- Excellent organization skills - organized and detailed, ability to manage multiple projects independently and simultaneously
- Experience with community outreach, coalition-building and organizing
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as being a self-starter who can work independently
- Familiarity with common software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Google Drive
- Must be able to maintain clear, timely and accurate records for project monitoring
- Comfort with public speaking
- Strong innovative and creative thinking
This position does not directly supervise employees.
- Language: Professional working proficiency in oral and written English required. Professional working proficiency in oral and written Spanish or Haitian Creole preferred.
- Education: Associate’s Degree
- Years of experience: 1-3
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite and working knowledge of web-based platforms
- Customer service orientation
- Promotes products and services
- Inspire & motivates
- Team player
- Develops talent (self)
- Articulate vision and understands the big picture
- Stable and calming influence
- Emotional intelligence
- Leads by example
- Open to feedback
- Effective interpersonal communicator
- Asset focused (as opposed to charity focused)
- Active listener
- Step out of comfort zone
- Learning agility, comfortable with uncertainty, adaptable to sudden change ● Goal oriented, prioritization and time management
- Analytical/critical thinker, problem solver and resourceful
- Continuous improver-persistent
- Move projects forward simultaneously
- Tolerate and effectively manage stress
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Able to sit at desk for long periods of time and utilize computer for extended periods
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings, to accommodate project needs
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Stretch and bend to organize and distribute materials for Catalyst Miami activities
- Must be able to work flexible hours to accommodate project needs
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above describes the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Please email your resume, a cover letter detailing your motivation for the position and connection to the South Dade community, and a short response to the question “What is the root cause of poverty?” to [email protected]